"Let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest-time, if we will not give up." Galatians 6:9
The American Baptist Seminary of the West (ABSW) was established in 1871 by the American Baptist Churches USA. The seminary is a founding member of the Graduate Theological Union (GTU), a consortium that works in partnership with and sits adjacent to the University of California at Berkeley. Located in one of the most exciting educational communities in the nation, ABSW is an ATS accredited graduate level institution that prepares women and men for the challenges of ministry in the 21st century. Annual Giving, Planned Giving, Grant Proposals, Donor and Alumni Relations (developing strategies, identifying and cultivating prospective donors and enhancing relationships with current individuals and institutional donors); as well as Strategies for future Capital/Endowment Campaigns · Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree is a plus.
The Director of Development and Communications reports to and works in partnership with the Office of the President.
Job Description:The Director of Development and Communications will spearhead the annual fund raising efforts of the institution as well as develop the annual grants and Alumni Relations programs in association with the Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Director will oversee, plan, execute, and manage a comprehensive annual funds development program that builds and sustains a broad base of engaged and committed donors that will include, but not be limited to, the following:
The Director will oversee the effective development and implementation of communication efforts, processes and priorities as performed by ABSW’s Communications Committee.
The Director of Development and Communications will serve as a member of the Administrative Cabinet.
The Director must understand and be committed to the Mission of ABSW.
Minimal travel will be expected.
Knowledge and Skills:The Director will be a development/communications specialist with the following credentials:
· Faith based experience (preferred).
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multi-cultural settings and with a diverse clientele.
· Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and experience with database management, Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Five to seven years of managing high level, strategic donor relationship (preferred); experience in corporate sales and marketing or a role in generating new revenues also acceptable.
· Demonstrated success in securing five and six figure gifts from individual donors, churches, and corporations.
· An entrepreneurial spirit with experience building new relationships in a large region while managing competing deadlines and attaining goals.
· Established skill in developing long term major gifts; donor cultivation; and solicitation strategies.
· Excellent financial management skills with experience in fundraising and budget analysis and planning.
· Strong interpersonal and motivational skills in conveying the mission of ABSW.
· A collaborative and collegial leadership style that strives to achieve common goals and objectives.
Annual Giving, Planned Giving, Grant Proposals, Donor and Alumni Relations (developing strategies, identifying and cultivating prospective donors and enhancing relationships with current individuals and institutional donors); as well as Strategies for future Capital/Endowment Campaigns
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree is a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume to Rev. Carolyn Matthews at
email@example.com by September 1, 2013.